Subject: Re: problems with IIsi -current
To: John P. Wittkoski <jpw@insoft.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/13/1995 12:31:22

> Hello all,
> Sorry to take up bandwidth on this, but I did look through a month or two
> of old postings and couldn't solve my problem.
>
> I am trying to get a -current running on a IIsi with 8(9) M RAM. I got a
> kernel from ftp.eskimo.com on 9/5 and when booting it crashes into the
> debugger right after:
>    Pram time did not appear to be set correctly.
>    Pram: (big hex number), macos_boottime (big hex number)
>
> (I know the pram does not work on the IIsi. I think the crash is occuring
> when the automatic filesystem checks start)
>
> After the above pram message, it crashed with:
>   Kernel Illegal Instruction trap
>   trap type 2, code=0, v=0
>   kernel: Illegal instruction
>   pid=1, pc=0x19a, ps=0x2008, sfc=0x1, dfc=0x1
>
> And then some a and d register listings.
>
> Then I downloaded -current source on 9/6 or 9/7 and compiled it and got the
> same results. I tried with both booter 1.6 and 1.8.
>
> I can boot with a kernel I got back in May (which is what I have been using),
> and have not changed any of the configuration of the system between booting
> the May kernel and the -current one. The May one still works.
>
> Any ideas?

Yep. How is the memory set up? This sounds like what happened to my
machine starting in July. The problem, crashing w/ an illegal instruction
just after the pram test, had something to do w/ the vm setup (I
can elaborate more, and Allen knows about it).

My problem went away when I turned on Auto-Ram sizing. Having the memory
set to 1 meg less than real BREAKS the current kernels, on my IIsi.

If, however, you already have Auto-Ram sizing on, I'll sit down &
shut up. :-)

Take care,

Bill