Subject: Annoucemment: New Icons for Mac side utils
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Runs With the Night Hawks... <hawks@mcs.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/10/1995 15:10:00
Announcing new icons for the Mac side utils for NetBSD-mac68k!!

For those of you who find the icons on the Mac utils for NetBSD there is
now an alternative.  The .sit.hqx file containing them can be found at
ftp://puma.bevd.blacksburg.va.us/pub/NetBSD/contrib/netbsd-icons.sit.hqx

Attached is the readme also located in that directory.

Enjoy,
Alan Palmer
hawks@mcs.co (prefered)
alan_palmemr@il.us.swissbank.co

*** netbsd-icons.README

netbsd-icons.sit.hqx is a folder containing new and improved(IMO) icons for
the Mac side utils needed for NetBSD-m68k-mac.

I love NetBSD but was disapointed in the black and white icons for the
Booter, Installer, and Mkfs utils.  I figured since this is BSD4.4lite unix,
why not use the Berkeley "Deamon"* cartoon figure?  So I created new icons
for the 3 utilities and Allen has graciously offered to put them up on
ftp.NetBSD.org and puma.bevd.blacksburg.va.us.

To get and install the icons do the following:

System any:
download the file netbsd-icons.sit.hqx
Convert from binhqx using your favorite utility and double click on the
resulting stuffit archive. (You need a copy of stuffit3.x for this, buy it if
you dont have it, its great, or get a Lite version from your favorite mac
archive).

Uncompress the folder "Cool NetBSD icons"

System 7.x:
open the folder, you'll see 3 icons attached to Teach Text docs.
select one of the icons and use the finder to "Get Info" (under the File menu,
of commmand-i)
When the Info window comes up, click once on the icon, it will become surrounded
with a black square, then "Copy" from the Edit menu, or command-c.
Close the info window (commmand-w)

Find your utility on your system and select it once and "Get Info" again in
the same way as before.  Select the old icon by clicking on it once and select
"Paste" from the edit window or command-v.

Close the info window as before.

Repeate for the different icons as you like.

System 6.x:
You'll need ResEdit for this task under system 6.x.

Open the new icon file with resedit and select the icnl#8 resource.  Copy it
to the clipboard with "Copy" fro the edit window or command-c.

Open the old booter,mkfs,install utility with ResEdit and select the icnl#8
resource and "Paste" from the Edit menu or command-v.  Close both resource
windows, saving the resources for the original utility you edited.

Repeat for the other utilities as well.

If you dont see the new and improved icons, just ttxt document icons you will
need to rebuild your desktop at boot up.  Hold down the command and control keys
at boot time and you're desktop will be rebuilt.  (I think its command-cnlt, I
always just press and hold command-opt-cntl and g when I break into MacsBug,
I dont rebuild very often and can never remember:) )

Presto-Change-O, The new icons should be there for your visual pleasure.

Feel free to distribute them to your freinds and family.  If you like them or
have recomendations for the next set, drop me a line.  If you dont like them,
just drag the whole folder to the trash and empty it.

Alan Palmer
hawks@mcs.com (prefered)
alan_palmer@il.us.swissbank.comm

* BSD Deamon used with permission of Marshall Kirk McKusick
* BSD Daemon Copyright 1988 by Marshall Kirk McKusick. All Rights Reserved.