Subject: Re: DayStar 040 Accel?
To: NetBSD/Mac68k Users' List <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Brian R. Gaeke <brg@dgate.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/10/1995 00:25:51
And then spake Allen Briggs as follows:
> > Just a quick question - has anyone had any success running a DayStar 68040
> > accelerator on their Macs? Specifically the IIsi? I understand that the major
> > holdup on 040 based Macs is SCSI/ADB/ROMs, so should an 040
> > accelerator work in a Mac IIsi currently happily running NetBSD?
>
> I would also be interested to hear if someone has tried this.  I have a
> Radius Rocket and I've seen some odd behavior from it, but I haven't
> investigated, yet, to see exactly what's going on.  The Daystar boards
> are _very_ different from what I can tell, and probably stand a better
> chance of working.
>
> > I'm planning on buying something soon, until PREP/CHRP PPC. Whenever that
> > will be.
>
> Who knows?  ;-)  Last I heard, Apple was still spec'ing out the low-level
> (register definition, etc.) parts of CHRP...  It'll be a while...

Hrm. A friend of mine has a Daystar 040 in his IIsi, but the last time we tried
NetBSD on it was back when it was still called 'MacBSD', and the version number
was like 0.9A? heh. I may try it, or have him try it, w/ a miniroot.

-Brian

--
Brian Gaeke, The Dimensional Gate Company    Internet E-Mail: <brg@dgate.org>
DGate.ORG system adminstrator / PGP 2.6.2 public key available via finger