Subject: P600--SLIP routing / Radius 8X & TPD19 / X / dt / trackball
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Derrick Hutchinson <derrick1@tribeca.ios.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/08/1995 08:20:33
Well, I finally got some time to play around with my P600 and MacBSD
configuration and I was able to configure and set up SL/IP so that I
could connect to my office and through an X-window session rlogin to
machines there--I must admit I think this is REALLY COOL...  Now my Mac
at home is truly an extension off the LAN at work--maybe I should rethink
this, being able to work from home this transparently might not be such a
GOOD thing.   :^)

Well, of course, after each step forward I always have more questions,
Allen--sorry for being so inquisitive.

At first I was not able to ping through (after I got the link configured)
to the terminal server at work using what I thought would be a proper
default route.  It's time for some background...

We have a number of LANS at work, the one that the terminal server sits on
is 220.112.22.0, the terminal server is 220.112.22.77.  When you dial into
the terminal server it supposedly establishes routes from itself to your
PC, thus making you able to talk to any other machine on the network.
Anybody dialing in is given an address on the 220.112.21.0
network--originally it would randomly assign an address from 1 through 10
to whomever called in.  I set it up so when I connect from MacBSD it will
always assign the address 220.112.21.65 to my UNIX host (performa600--not
very original, but it allows anyone at work to immediately distinguish the
fact that I am logged in).  Now comes the question: I would have assumed
that the proper default route to use on performa600 would have been the
terminal server: 220.112.22.77, but I got the message back that there was
no route to host.  I then changed the default route to be performa600, my
own machine, and everything worked great.  I must be confused about the
way subnets and routing works...

Here is what the working routing table looks like when I did a netstat -r:

Internet:

Destination    Gateway     Flags Refs Use Interface
default        performa600 UGS   0    0   sl0
localhost      localhost   UH    2    24  lo0
performa600    localhost   UGHS  1    0   lo0
220.112.21.255 performa600 UH    1    1   sl0

XNS:

Destination Gateway Flags Refs Use Interface

It would seem to me that the first two routes are needed, the first one
to locate all other networks, and the second one to establish internal
TCP/IP communications for the PC.  The third one seems unnecessary
because the second one tells your machine how to talk to itself and the
fourth one for broadcast I just don't think I've ever seen before.

Any revelations whould be appreciated to shed some light on this...

On a separate note, when I'm running X-windows, and an error message is
sent to the console, the error message gets written properly to the
xconsole, however it also gets written to the desktop which causes all of
the windows on the screen to scroll up and rather swiftly make the entire
display rather screwy looking--I restart twm to force everything to be
refreshed, but you can still see some parts of the desktop do not get
cleaned up--the problem is generated by timed complaining that there is
no network available (when I'm not dialed up).  Yeah, I know, kill off
timed,, but I just wanted to let you all know that there is a problem
here. :v)

I also noticed a slight problem with desktop--or more correctly a problem
with my keyboard in conjunction with the keyboard that dt was compiled
with.  All of the special characters are mapped differently, such as the
tilde key is mapped to the right bracket and the ampersand is mapped to
the uparrow and the underscore is mapped to the forward-slash.  This was
all very funny when I was running dt, but when I exited dt the problem
followed me to my login shell--HA, HA, HA!!!  Of course this is all very
funny, but how might I correct this for an Apple Extended Keyboard II so
it doesn't drive me stark raving mad?!? :v{

Last, but not least, I bought a Radius 8x videocard and connected a Radius
TPD19 screen to it (donated to me from work)--the kernel noticed it's
there--it said something like: grf0 1152x882 mono QD-compatible (Radius
PrecisionColor 8-24x) display.  Is there a way to use both the large
monitor AND built-in video?  When the TPD19 monitor was not connected to
the Radius 8X card, the kernel reported grf0 640x480 etc... and grf1
1152x882 etc...  With the TPD19 screen connected to the Radius 8X card
grf1 is no longer listed. :V(

Any recommendation on whether or not I should upgrade the ROM on the
Radius 8X card to v2.0 from v1.x?  X works great with the large screen.

I'm looking into getting a trackball to use instead of the original
mouse--any recommendations/conflicts with the kernel I should be aware of?

Thanks again, and sorry for the note being so long...