Subject: Re: Locating Mac Volumes in the Unix Filesystem...
To: Peter M. Pundy <peterp@strider.andyne.on.ca>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/06/1995 10:39:38
[description of project deleted]

Cool!

> >> 2) To what Macintosh path does the unix path "/" map?
> >>
> >>     Possible answers:
> >>                         "/" --> "{BootDisk}:"
> >
> >Or how about "/" --> the Finder desktop; i.e. containing all drives as
> >"folders" or mount points, plus contents of Desktop Folders on all volumes,
> >plus a "Trash" "folder" containing contents of "Trash" folders
> >on all volumes. Writing to / puts things on the startup disk. This would
> >be consistent with "Volume1:" --> "/Volume1" as above. This is also kind of
> >like the way Peter N Lewis's ftpd works, if I recall correctly.
>
> Unfortunatly, it is not consistent with AppleShare and the Mac Finder.
> However, that in itself does not exclude the possibility of implementing it
> this way.  The following problems must be solved though:
>
> if "/" --> the Finder desktop (where desktop is union of
>                                 each and every "Desktop Folder" mounted
>                                   as parent to each available volume)
>

> then it makes sense to find "Volume1:" as "/Volume1", but then you cannot
> have files or directories on the desktop with the same name as volumes.
> This is currently permitted since the desktop as you describe it (unified
> super-directory) does not exist.
>
> So, let's say to avoid that problem, we leave other desktop contents in
> their current locations "VolumeX:Desktop Folder:" and merely choose "/" as
> the place to mount all available volumes.  This avoids the name conflict
> problem, but creates a "/" which necessarily must be read-only.

I think this solution sounds best. I doubt the read-only "/" will really
be a problem. Or you could make "/" encompass the desktop folder
from the startup drive. Thus "/" is writable (in the standard mac manner)
and there is no name conflict problem. Granted items in the Desktop
folder on other drives would only be under drive name:Desktop Folder,
but I don't think this would be a big problem.

Take care,

Bill