Subject: Re: Locating Mac Volumes in the Unix Filesystem...
To: Peter M. Pundy <peterp@strider.andyne.on.ca>
From: Brian R. Gaeke <brg@dgate.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/06/1995 09:18:01
And then spake Peter M. Pundy as follows:
> I'm in search of a few opinions.  I've just about completed a version of
> 'rcp' which will run on a macintosh.  For now, I faked out an inetd and
> rshd and combined it with rcp code to allow the mac to be the 'server' of a
> Unix issued rcp command.  (Most of the transferring is working -- only
> recursive to the mac is broken)

cool!

> Anyway, this has caused me to write a conversion routines to translate
> pathes and filenames between Mac and Unix grammar/syntax.  Everything is
> peachy until I try to answer the following two questions:
>
> 1) Where in the unix file-system do I find Mac Volumes?  Ideally, we need one
>    standard place for this.
>
>     Possible answers:
>                         "Volume1:" --> "/dev/Volume1"
>                - or -   "Volume1:" --> "/Mac/Volume1"

Why not just "Volume1:" --> "/Volume1" ?

> 2) To what Macintosh path does the unix path "/" map?
>
>     Possible answers:
>                         "/" --> "{BootDisk}:"

Or how about "/" --> the Finder desktop; i.e. containing all drives as
"folders" or mount points, plus contents of Desktop Folders on all volumes,
plus a "Trash" "folder" containing contents of "Trash" folders
on all volumes. Writing to / puts things on the startup disk. This would
be consistent with "Volume1:" --> "/Volume1" as above. This is also kind of
like the way Peter N Lewis's ftpd works, if I recall correctly.

-Brian

--
Brian Gaeke, The Dimensional Gate Company    Internet E-Mail: <brg@dgate.org>
DGate.ORG system adminstrator / PGP 2.6.2 public key available via finger