Subject: test kernel for ADB on newer machines.
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Walter Ruetten <walter@ghpc8.ihf.rwth-aachen.de>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/04/1995 11:42:38
Hi,

I did some work on the ADB and put a test kernel up for ftp.
It seems to run on the IIcx and on the IIvi (and on a Q700 it gets at
least through the ADB init though Allen told me that the SCIS still
hangs).

People who are only hanging at the ADB initialization might try the new
kernel .

The netbsd.950831.1 kernel is a GENERIC kernel (supped an Aug. 24th)
with some changes to the initialization of the ADB driver.

  ftp://ghpc8.ihf.rwth-aachen.de/pub/kernels/netbsd.950831.1
                                    is a plain kernel file (no tar, no gzip).
  ftp://ghpc8.ihf.rwth-aachen.de/pub/kernels/netbsd.950831.1.tar.gz
                                    is a ... (guess!)
(Be sure to use binary transfer when downloading either)

Caution: - this kernel _needs_ Booter 1.8 (to pass the HwCfgFlags) !!
	   (Available at:
           ftp://puma.bevd.blacksburg.va.us/pub/NetBSD/booter/Booter1.8.cpt.hqx
           ftp://dgate.org/pub/netbsd/mac68k/booter/Booter1.8.cpt.hqx  )
         - until now it has only been tested on a MacIIvi and MacIIcx.

If it crashes before printing
    adb: bus subsystem
    Got following HwCfgFlags: ...
it is probably not the fault of my changes.

If if you get past
    adb: mapped device ...
    adb: 100 dpi mouse  A        <or the like>
    mainbus0 (root)
you are lucky and should have a working kernel.

If you break down in between, please mail whatever comes after the
adb: bus subsystem line _and_ what type of machine you have to
  walter@ghpc8.ihf.rwth-aachen.de

If this kernel breaks a once working machine, please report this as well!

Ciao
  Walter
--

Changes to supped kernel:

  * Use HwCfgFlags copied from the MacOS side.
  * Initialization of the ADB bus was made more general by using an
    alternate entry point to ADBReInit().
  * ADBState (mrg_adbstore2) is now initialized (hopefully only on
    machines which know how to do it).

--
EMail: walter@ghpc8.ihf.rwth-aachen.de   | SnailMail: Walter Ruetten
                                            _o        Turmstr. 190