Subject: Re: RAM FS
To: Nicholas Mitchell <nick@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>
From: Brian R. Gaeke <brg@dgate.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/04/1995 01:45:34
And then spake Nicholas Mitchell as follows:
> The documentation and references to the RAM FS
> that booter 1.8 supports appears to be very minimal
> at this point. So it supports up to a 1MB RAM disk partition,
> how can one go about creating one?
> (the docs refer to a mac "file" partition...)
>
> (I realize that the lack of documentation may be a hint not
> to use this feature!)
>
> and thanks for all the stupendous work, allen, et.al!
> nick mitchell

Look at src/distrib/mac68k/inst-common/Makefile.inc for some clues as to how
one can make such boot images. Basically you need to copy the items onto
a 1-mb-sized vnode disk, and then dd the raw vnode disk partition into a file,
and then copy the file out to MacOS. (I've not tried it, but I'm looking into
installation from BSD-side, so I may try it myself soon.)

-Brian

--
Brian Gaeke, The Dimensional Gate Company    Internet E-Mail: <brg@dgate.org>
DGate.ORG system adminstrator / PGP 2.6.2 public key available via finger