Subject: Re: SetUP on IIsi
To: Victor Jimenez <vjimenez@awod.com>
From: Brian R. Gaeke <brg@dgate.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/04/1995 01:04:57
And then spake Victor Jimenez as follows:
> I have BSD set up on my IIsi, and now I need to know what files must I
> configure?  Are there any files that need to be customized?

For many purposes I've found that BSD works with little configuration-file
editing, compared to some other systems. But that all depends on how much
you're doing with the system. *ducks and runs*

My general plan of attack is:
 1. Run a program, see if it breaks
 2. man program (or, worst case: strings program) and look for files it uses.
 3. Configure those files, either from manual page in (5) section or by
	reading the source
 4. Repeat as necessary

Some ones you might want to configure from the start:
/etc/myname - fully-qualified domain name of your host
/etc/motd - Message Of The Day, displayed upon user login
/etc/hosts - simple name to address mappings if you don't want to set up
             named, or don't know how
/etc/hostname.xxx - where xxx is your primary network interface, should you
                    have one. format documented in /etc/netstart
/usr/share/skel/*  - skeletal login files

> Also, HOW DO I ADD A NEW USER!!!

Um, first, quit shouting. Also, read the man page adduser(8). The way I do
it is to have a script that asks me for username, group name, full name,
and desired shell, and conses up an /etc/master.passwd line, and then
runs 'pwd_mkdb -p /etc/master.passwd'. Then it makes a home directory,
copies /usr/share/skel/* into it, and chowns the whole mess to the new user.

Is this a common enough complaint that a script like this ought to be
added to the NetBSD distribution? Or is that sort of thing considered too
site-specific ("well, adduser is broken because it doesn't deal correctly
with {kerberos[45],nis,nisplus,athena,...}")

-Brian

--
Brian Gaeke, The Dimensional Gate Company    Internet E-Mail: <brg@dgate.org>
DGate.ORG system adminstrator / PGP 2.6.2 public key available via finger