Subject: Re: Not for the faint of heart....
To: Allen Briggs <briggs@puma.bevd.blacksburg.va.us>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@remus.rutgers.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/01/1995 12:22:45
> > > I have just checked in a copy of a new scsi driver for the 5380-based
> > > computers [...]

> > What are the advantages of this new driver?

> Disconnect/reconnect.  It's truly interrupt-driven--the old driver's
> pseudo-DMA used really blind transfers...

I've been noticing a slugishness when there's one process (or more)
actively accessing the disk.  I always thought it was due to this
"blind transfer"; kernel has to copy a chunk of data between disk and
memory without doing context switching.  Am I right?

> On the down side, I think this driver is a little slower for a couple
> of reasons.  I'm working on that a bit, now...

I could live with that... as long as X cursor doesn't freeze when I do
"find . -name '*.[ch]' -print | xargs grep -w NULL" ;-)

I'll sup and try the new driver when I see it in the CVS log.

Thanks for your continuous effort for improvements!

kenn
--
Ken Nakata <kenn@remus.rutgers.edu> | "ftp://remus.rutgers.edu/pub/NetBSD" -
 Rutgers - The State University of  | yet another unofficial NetBSD/mac68k