Subject: Re: Apple Ethernet NB Card supported?
To: Peter Kohler <kohler@ife.ee.ethz.ch>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@puma.bevd.blacksburg.va.us>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/01/1995 09:13:35
> I got a brand new Apple Ethernet NB Card today and was very eager to
> install it and run NetBSD. (SLIP worked fine up to now, but 19200 bps
> is just not the real thing...). I tried several kernels from
> puma and eskimo, but none of them seemed to recognize the card:
>
> nubus0: slot c: Apple Ethernet NB Card (Vendor....) not configured
>
> On the card itself is an MC68000 and an Ethernet-Chip by SONIC. Is there
> already a driver for this card?

MMMmmmmm.  No.  The Apple Ethernet NB cards that are supported are
earlier ones without 68000 and SONIC.  I don't know how to differentiate
them other than that.  We'll need a SONIC driver for the Quadra systems,
but since that card also has a 68000, I expect that it uses some sort of
arrangement where the 68k does all the work and the main processor just
handles interrupts and queuing up data to send.  Is this one of the
cards that requires A/ROSE?

Anyhow, the working cards are the older Apple cards that use the 8390 or
83902 ethernet controllers, Asante (what I'm using) and, I think,
Farallon.  Some Interlan cards might work, too.

-allen

--
Allen Briggs - end killing - allen.briggs@bev.net ** MacBSD == NetBSD/mac68k **
   Where does all my time go?  <a href="http://www.netbsd.org/">Guess.</a>