Subject: Re: Not for the faint of heart....
To: Brian R. Gaeke <brg@dgate.org>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@puma.bevd.blacksburg.va.us>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/01/1995 01:25:50
> > I have just checked in a copy of a new scsi driver for the 5380-based
> > computers [...]
>
> What are the advantages of this new driver?

Disconnect/reconnect.  It's truly interrupt-driven--the old driver's
pseudo-DMA used really blind transfers...  This driver is also shared by
at least the Atari and PC532 ports so we benefit some from a larger user
and developer base for changes to the more m.i. parts of the driver.
I think it's also much more robust in the face of drives that want to
send sync negotiation messages, etc.  I'm not sure about this, though,
as I've never seen that problem on my hardware...

I was able to run 250MB of data from my IIcx (w/ old driver) to my
(FPU-less) IIsi (w/ new driver) where it got copied to a tape drive.
The old driver didn't handle tapes well because it didn't allow the tape
drive to disconnect which is ... painful ... on retension operations
where the command would timeout and wedge the entire system.  :-(

On the down side, I think this driver is a little slower for a couple
of reasons.  I'm working on that a bit, now...

-allen

--
Allen Briggs - end killing - allen.briggs@bev.net ** MacBSD == NetBSD/mac68k **
   Where does all my time go?  <a href="http://www.netbsd.org/">Guess.</a>