Subject: enabling m88k-elf in binutils
To: None <port-m88k@NetBSD.org>
From: Michael Kato <mk2s@digitalcommute.com>
List: port-m88k
Date: 02/05/2005 23:36:51
I have recently been tinkering with my 88k systems and have started to
poke at binutils 2.15 trying to make it grok elf.  I've tweaked bfd so
that objdump displays correct relocation entries for a .o file produced
on my SysV/88k R4V4 box.  I'm about to write the missing pieces for gas
to output with correct relocation entries.

So far I've only had to implement the relocation types R_88K_16L,
R_88K_16H, R_88K_DISP16, R_88K_DISP26, and R_88K_32.  (sanity check;
dose this sound about right?)

SysV headers have a whole bunch more(perhaps 80+ more) relocation
types, but I can't even begin to imagine what they are for.  I suppose
we'll implement as we need them.

I'm not an expert on elf, but have some hope that this is doable.  I
was wondering if anyone on the list had documentation about the
platform/processor(that is 88k) specific ABI.  I'm guessing and making
stuff up as I go from looking at disassembled relocatables and
executables from the SysV/88k, but it occurred to me that I should ask
to see if anyone out there has 88k specific elf specs or 88Open ABI
specs.(not really sure what this is but have seen references to it, and
sounded relevant)  I could really use help in this matter.

BTW does anyone know what executable format DG/UX supports?

According to the wikipedia the 88k was announced 1988, perhaps we can
get NetBSD ported in time for the 20th anniversary :-)

http://www.m88k.org