Subject: Re: AViiON 88k port.
To: Allen Briggs <briggs@wasabisystems.com>
From: Chris Tribo <t1345@hopi.dtcc.edu>
List: port-m88k
Date: 05/07/2001 15:12:59
On Fri, 4 May 2001, Allen Briggs wrote:

<snip>
> Cool...  I have a couple of the 400-class systems here to work on.  I
> need to find the spare time (or funding--yeah, right...), which is in
> short supply at the moment.  I did finally get a copy of the m88k
> supplement to the ELF standard, so I plan to start hacking on the
> GNU tools sometime fairly soon.

	I got a list of the systems we have: three 8500's, one 4120, one
310, and one 500.

	Here's some interesting info for some opening thoughts:

/ $ size dgux
size: dgux: Warning - internal conversion of COFF file to ELF
2574024 + 511540 + 0 = 3085564
/ $ file dgux
dgux:           88Open BCS pure executable not stripped

	Lacking a BSS segment is...interesting. So this is an XCOFF
kernel, with an ELF userland? Or maybe they pull a trick like re-arranging
the ELF symbol table to make it bootable as an XCOFF (see
OFWBOOT.<XCF/ELF}?)

	Hopefully I'll get a chance to open up one or two of our systems
and take inventory of what chipsets are in each model, and start to build
a PROM version table.

	Chris