Port-m68k archive

Re: M68k backend has landed in LLVM - NetBSD support

On Tue, 9 Nov 2021, John Klos wrote:

Bitsavers has all of the Motorola manuals online, in <http://www.bitsavers.org/components/motorola/68000/>. You'll want the 68851, 68030, 68040, and 68060 manuals.

I have several of these (M68030, M68060 books), and they're great references, but they really don't help with understanding the NetBSD pmap. I'm learning, but it's a slow process.

Probably the simplest possible change beyond switching to 8KB pages would be to increase the size of the root. Even if it's only increased statically (say based on a kernel config parameter -- you aren't going to make use of 4GB of virtual address space on an 8MB system) it doesn't take much to enable vastly more VM.

Increase the size of the root? I don't follow... Would love to hear more, though :)

Increase the size of the level0 (root) table. It's currently only one page, and the way it was set up requires the root table to be contiguous physical pages. I think there wasn't a way to ensure allocation of multiple contiguous pages in the past - I don't know if that has changed.

I had done some work on a way to increase the size of the root table, as well as using a pool for the tables. I'm currently checking if my changes still build.

Mike

---
Michael L. Hitch                        mhitch%montana.edu@localhost
Operations Consulting,  Information Technology Center
Montana State University, Bozeman, MT     USA