Port-m68k archive

Re: Bountysource campaign to complete the M680x0 LLVM backend

On 4/6/20 6:48 PM, Kevin P. Neal wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 06, 2020 at 01:09:30AM +0200, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
>> We created a Bountysource campaign [1] to support the finalization of the
>> M680x0 LLVM backend that was initially written by Artyom Goncharov [2].
>>
>> Completing the LLVM backend would allow us to support Rust on m68k and
>> more. The BSD community would get a C/C++ compiler for m68k with
>> a permissive license.
>
> The LLVM community isn't going to let it get put into the tree unless there
> are people to support the thing going forward. They don't carry unmaintained
> backends as a general rule no matter how complete they are.

Yes, I'm aware of this situation. I have actually noted that in the Github
issue.

> Is there a plan for someone to maintain the thing? Otherwise you've got
> a fork of LLVM forever.

One of the potential developers to work on the backend might be willing
to take over maintainership. I have also reached out to upstream to discuss
this particular issue and I'm trying to find a solution to get it
merged upstream.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz