Port-m68k archive

Re: GCC 4.8 out of memory

On Mon, Jun 01, 2015 at 11:47:23AM +0200, Frank Wille wrote:
> Michael van Elst wrote:
>
> > http://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/mlelstv/vmparam.diff
> >
> > is what I use.
>
> Ok, I used most of that, but 32 MB for the text segment seems too much.
> I chose 16 MB.

It is just a limit. The only constraint is that the text+data+stack
address space must be handled by pmap which is limited to 512MB.
32MB don't seem to be excessive then.

Most other 68k archs have a text limit of 8MB, atari has 16MB. The
largest binary I've seen so far is cc1plus with about 7MB.

The bumped VM_KERNEL_PT_PAGES are necessary for up to 2GB RAM.

> > Would also be nice, if Michael L. Hitch's pmap changes could
> > make it into netbsd-7 (or even -current).
>
> Which changes are that? The long awaited improved pmap code for 040/060?
> Is a diff file available? I can test it.

His new pmap code manages the full 4GB address space for processes.
No diff or commits yet. I tested one of his kernels once on
my Amiga emulator.

Greetings,
--
                                Michael van Elst