Port-m68k archive

Re: Problems with awk/nbawk on m68k

On Sun, 9 Jan 2011, Frank Wille wrote:

Yes, I can confirm that!

  I'm kind of glad it's not jut me :)

Then I made a second test with running a Whetstone benchmark in background.
The problem is less frequent here (maybe 2 or 3 flists out of 10), but it
can still be reproduced! So I hope it has nothing to do with DMA or a disk
driver.

I was doing some tests running 'openssl speed' and would get a few errors.

For comparison: I was running on an A3000 with CSPPC 68060/50, 128MB, using
a disk attached to cbiiisc(4).

  I'm currently running an A4000 with CyberStorm III.

I also did some tests doing a du -s and dd on the IDE drive. That also causes the same types of errors. The IDE driver doesn't use DMA, so it makes it less likely to be DMA problems (although my source tree was still on the SCSI drive).

I've also seen the same thing on a 4.0 system, and I even had a 3.0 system with a 3.1 kernel - which does the same thing.

I was thinking this morning that the list creation process is probably using pipes; after find a pipe(2) problem on vax a while back, that could potentially be a source of the problem. Also, to totally eliminate the possiblity of DMA and/or SCSI driver problems, I'll try putting enough of the tree on the IDE drive and run entirely off the IDE drive.

Mike
--
Michael L. Hitch                        mhitch%montana.edu@localhost
Computer Consultant