Subject: Re: Motorola Coldfire 52xx
To: None <tech-embed@NetBSD.org, port-m68k@NetBSD.org>
From: Aaron J. Grier <agrier@poofygoof.com>
List: port-m68k
Date: 07/08/2004 00:25:32
On Wed, Jul 07, 2004 at 06:54:22PM -0400, Brian Rose wrote:
> I recently landed a job doing embedded development work on Motorola
> coldfire processors. They are currently using a bunch of different
> commercial tools to program, download and debug (on Windows). I was
> wondering if anyone is using NetBSD for development with this family
> of products.
>
> Ideally I'd like to use it for all aspects of development - edit,
> compile or assemble, download, and debugging via the BDM port. I've
> seen bits and pieces of most of these scattered about and I was
> wondering if anyone was successful in putting it all together.

I do this daily for the 68331.

gcc, gas, and binutils are all configured for m68k.  gdb is used for
uploading via BDM.  BDM device driver and gdb patches are available at
http://sourceforge.net/projects/bdm/ .

porting NetBSD to run on coldfire should be possible on the 54xx with
MMUs.

  "someday the industry will have throbbing frontal lobes and will be able
  to write provably correct software.  also, I want a pony." -- Zach Brown