Subject: Free Integrated Solutions VME 68020 systems
To: None <port-m68k@netbsd.org>
From: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-m68k
Date: 10/05/2002 09:57:01
I have 3, possibly 4 (I think there's another one buried behind a stack
of boxes :-) Integrated Solutions, Inc. VME 68020 systems, free for the
taking, in San Francisco.

The stuff includes:

	* 1 V16 model -- 16 6U VME slots.  Currently has Ethernet,
	  disk controller, and tape controller boards.  2 MFM disks
	  on Adaptec MFM->SCSI adapter, plugged into disk controller.
	  This one actually has ISI's 4.2BSD port installed on it,
	  and it did in fact run the last time I powered it up (which
	  was like 5 years ago).

	* 2 (or 3 :-) V8 models -- 8 6U VME slots.  They are sort of
	  like thinner/deeper tower PCs in size/shape.  These are
	  probably good only for parts.  They have memory, controllers,
	  and MFM disks that are likely usable.

	* Set of ISI 4.2BSD manuals.  Not sure how complete they are,
	  but it's the familar stuff in glossy ISI 3-ring binders.

	* Partial set of hardware manuals, the sort of thing one might
	  need to do a port.

	* Box of VME boards for these things.  Ethernet controllers, disk
	  controllers, etc.

I *think* I also have the 4.2BSD kernel source code for these things (with
the VAX VM code hacked to work with the ISI MMU, which is not the standard
Motorola MMU).  That could probably be a decent reference for how e.g. the
Ethernet and disk controllers work (they're all the "intelligent" type,
with a 68000 + firmware).  Note that the disk controllers are really SCSI
controllers, but the firmware that runs on them only talks to direct-access
type devices.  There are separate tape controller cards :-)

Anyway, these things are going to leave my garage one way or the other,
and I'd prefer if they went to someone who appreciates them as much as I
did (do).  They're quite heavy, so you probably don't want to consider
shipping them.

In any case, if no one speaks up for them, I'll be calling a junk hauling
service on Oct 18, so there is your deadline :-)