Subject: Re: Fastest m68k box for bulk package builds
To: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
From: John Klos <john@sixgirls.org>
List: port-m68k
Date: 09/24/2001 12:16:52
Hi,

> > Yes. I built 1,900 m68k packages and uploaded them at the beginning of the
> > month. I'm using an Amiga 1200, 50 MHz 68060, 256 megs of memory, and a
> > really fast 18 gig SCSI drive connected to Fast SCSI-2.
> >
> 	That certainly sounds like a pretty fask m68k box :)

My colocated machine is faster, but not by much. This machine, at the
moment, is set up primarily for bulk builds.

> > I didn't really know where to announce this, and netbsd-announce people
> > didn't tell me where...
> >
> 	How often does the bulk-build complete? If its every couple of
> 	months I'd be inclined to put up a link in each m68k port's
> 	homepage, plus mail the m68k port lists. If its more than
> 	every other month I'd probably cut down on the mail :)

This is a guess, but then again anything that has to do with building
timeframes seems to be a guess, but I'd say that there would be a cycle of
major bulk build, minor updates (slightly newer versions, fixed packages);
a major build from scratch is about 2 months, a minor a month.

Perhaps a status page would be in order so that people can get an small
occasional email telling them that it's been updated, so they can go
look at the status page and see if what they're looking for has been
built.

WHat do you think?

> > I'm also working on building a 6 machine Quadra cluster for bulk builds.
> > It's about half done.
> >
> 	Sounds interesting - are you using the pkgsrc bulk-build target
> 	as a base?

Yes; I've done some experimenting with two Quadras, that Amiga mentioned
above, and NFS to see what kind of interaction the machines would have.
I've also been talking with various people about implementing a database
controlled build server that would track pkgsrc and all of the binaries
for a particular architecture, so building can be distributed more loosely
(ie, over the Internet using ssh where NFS isn't possible).

> > I intend to start another build soon. Are you interested in having
> > specific things built?
>
> 	Not as such - just trying to see who is bulk-building and where
> 	we may need to recruit more people. Are you able to run off some
> 	1.4.x bulk-builds also?

I can use the already set up nodes of the Quadra cluster to start a bulk
build on 1.4.3, if this would help.

I'll get started on that. For now, the Quadras will do 1.4, and the Amiga
will do 1.5.

Thanks,
John
--
"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!], `Pray,
Mr.  Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right