Subject: Re: ldconfig and ld.aout_so on m68k ELF
To: None <abuse@spamalicious.com>
From: Izumi Tsutsui <tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp>
List: port-m68k
Date: 04/07/2001 02:28:51
In <20010406093407.B21200@mail.netbsd.org>
abuse@spamalicious.com wrote:

> > I say go ahead and commit the changes, but it would also be a good idea to
> > add the COMPAT_AOUT_ALTPATH option to the GENERIC config file of each m68k
> > port which has been converted to ELF, along with a brief comment
> > describing what it does.
>
> Uh, we went through this once before on i386 and sparc.  The appropriate
> thing to do is to make ld.so (a.out) look in /emul/aout, NOT to do the
> magic path hacking in the kernel.

We really need COMPAT_AOUT_M68K option to adjust
alignment incompatibility between a.out and ELF,
but -current COMPAT_AOUT_M68K handles both real
a.out incompatibility and /emul/aout path search.

New COMPAT_AOUT_ALTPATH option allows disabling (or enabling)
/emul/aout alternate path search of COMPAT_AOUT_M68K,
and it should be disabled by default as you said.

IMHO, old COMPAT_AOUT option should also be renamed to
COMPAT_AOUT_ALTPATH (or something), but I don't think
we can share syscalls.master files among the archs
for this option.
---
Izumi Tsutsui
tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp