Subject: Serial console?
To: None <port-m68k@netbsd.org>
From: Beth Sundheim <beth@sailorpluto.com>
List: port-m68k
Date: 12/28/1998 15:32:57
Hello,

I am a new subscriber to this list, and I have been waiting for a little
while to see what the tenor of discussion here is like, in order not to
commit any newbie faux pas. Nothing has found its way to my inbox, though,
which makes me wonder if it's just quiet right now, or if Majordomo choked
on my confirmation e-mail. ;-) Anyway, I have one quick question to ask,
and then I'll go away.

I have an old 68k Mac (Classic II, to be specific) on which I would like to
install a Un*x-like operating system, just for my personal edification. I
have read that there are some issues with video support for this machine
(which usually also includes some cryptic references to "serial console"
output.) I've sone some sleuthing on the web but have not turned up any
documentation about the problem, except to note that it exists. And a
working definition of "serial console" currently eludes me as well. I
gather that it involves video output and the serial port, but since I've
never seen or heard of anyone connecting a monitor to their computer via
the serial port, I'm afraid I can't quite figure out what the actual issue
is.

I'm sorry to trouble the list over what I'm sure is an obvious point to
everyone but me (and may cause some giggles), but if some kind soul would
send me a quick note off-list to set me straight, I'd be grateful.

Thanks very much!
Beth