Subject: Re: ELF and alignment changes?
To: Ty Sarna <tsarna@endicor.com>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-m68k
Date: 05/03/1997 10:00:47
On Sat, 3 May 1997 12:05:17 -0500 (CDT)
 Ty Sarna <tsarna@endicor.com> wrote:

 > 1) I've seen some mention recently of an ELF switchover. What is the
 > time frame for this? Before or after 1.3? I'm actually hoping this won't
 > happen for a while, since I have some a.out-dependend things to deal
 > with in the meantime.

There's not really any concrete plans for a switch to ELF at this time,
but I've been playing around with it.  Eventually, I want to see _all_
NetBSD platforms use ELF, and I happen to have a large number of m68k
systems at home to play with it on :-)

 > 2) Can someone please detail the m68k alignment changes? No changes
 > outside the m68k norm that might cause binary compatibility problems, I
 > hope?

Charles made the changes to the compiler.  I'm not familiar with gcc's
guts at all, so I'd rather let Charles explain what differences the
compiler changes may cause.