Subject: Re: gdb on m68k
To: None <chopps@emunix.emich.edu, port-m68k@netbsd.org, core@netbsd.org>
From: Paul Mackerras <Paul.Mackerras@cs.anu.edu.au>
List: port-m68k
Date: 09/15/1994 09:54:07
> From chopps@emunix.emich.edu  Thu Sep 15 03:56:29 1994

> I don't know about other platforms (m68k) but this doesn't fix my gdb
> problems.  What it does is cause panics.  I specifically didn't change
> the alignment right now becuase if it goes release I would rather have
> gdb croak than panic.

Just allowing misaligned accesses shouldn't cause a m68k to panic.
Perhaps there is another problem which was masked by the previous
problem, that is, now that gdb gets through reading the registers,
it does something else which causes your kernel to panic.

When I tried gdb after making the kernel change to allow unaligned
accesses, there did still seem to be some problems.  In particular
gdb would sometimes say that it wasn't able to install breakpoints
because it couldn't write to the process, maybe because another process
was using the executable.  I don't think there was actually another
process using the executable.

Paul.