Subject: Merging m68k ports
To: None <port-m68k@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Lawrence Kesteloot <lk@milquetoast.engr.sgi.com>
List: port-m68k
Date: 07/06/1994 21:13:22
It seems to me that now (post-1.0) would be a good time to merge some
of the arch stuff into m68k.  At least a lot of pmap should be able to
be shared, and maybe some of locore (rei, etc.) and a few other
things.  A good bit of redundant effort was put into going to 4.4 and
to '040.  From what I can tell, the ways that Amiga and HP300 are doing
'040 support are pretty different, and there's no need for all of the
other m68k ports to go through the trouble of pulling the bits and
pieces from either port.  Our (mac68k) machdep is _huge_, and I don't
see any reason why there needs to be that much stuff outside of dev.
Any thoughts on this?  How much can be pulled out?  Should the most
stable m68k port (hp?) just stick bits of its stuff into m68k?

Lawrence