Subject: SunOS emulation
To: None <port-m68k@sun-lamp.CS.Berkeley.EDU>
From: Theo Deraadt <deraadt@fsa.ca>
List: port-m68k
Date: 12/12/1993 14:47:02
I think I've put all the neccessary pieces for SunOS emulation into
the NetBSD-current tree. This code should work without modification in
either the sparc or m68k ports.

Markus has been running a varient of this sys/compat/sunos code in the
Amiga port for a while now. Adam is also trying to get it working in
the sun3 port (turnaround is fair play).

All the other m68k ports are welcome (and encouraged!) to incorporate
it into their ports.

Paul Kranenburg says it's solid enough to run X (I think he was
talking about OpenWindows) and Island Draw on NetBSD/sparc. Not bad,
eh? Unfortunately I'm kinda busy chasing another sparc bug to play
around like that... B-)

I believe the m68k changes are fairly localized:
	1. change cpu_exec_aout_makecmds() in the same way as
	   sparc/sparc/machdep.c
	2. talk to adam & mw about the modifications to syscall,
	   sendsig, and sigreturn. I'm not very familiar with the
	   nitty-gritty m68k details here.

Note: Markus' kernel code is a little bit behind the times. He's been
using a private amiga/sunos directory that is not very uptodate.

Let me know if you have any questions, and if you feel any changes are
needed in sys/compat/sunos/* please go through me.. thanks.