Subject: Re: NetBSD installation on Iyonix
To: Mag. Erhard F. <erhard.furtner@inode.at>
From: Gavan Fantom <gavan@coolfactor.org>
List: port-iyonix
Date: 03/24/2005 19:37:37
On Thu, 24 Mar 2005, Mag. Erhard F. wrote:

> I played around a litte with NetBSD 1.6 on my RiscPC some month ago, but
> now my Iyonix seems a much more promising machine for NetBSD and it's
> supported now as I read.

Thank you for your interest.

While NetBSD does run on the Iyonix, device support is currently missing
for both the onboard network card (although you can happily plug in a
cheapo PCI or USB network adapter) and the video.

That means that you will need to use a serial console to bring the machine
up.

Also right now, while the hard disc works, disklabelling isn't quite
right, so I'd recommend sticking with either a CD-based filesystem, or NFS
for the time being.

I hope to resolve at least some of these issues soon.

> I understood I have to go for "NetBSD-current", but these are sources
> only as I've seen. Where do I get a working Iyonix-kernel and
> bootstrapping system to compile the sources? I suspected this to be in
> the //pub/NetBSD/arch/iyonix directory, but it's empty.

You can find information on how to get NetBSD-current here:

http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/current/

You should be able to cross-build for Iyonix from any NetBSD machine.

--
Gillette - the best a man can forget