Port-i386 archive

Re: panic: fpudna from userland

Emmanuel Dreyfus <manu%netbsd.org@localhost> writes:

> On Sun, Apr 21, 2024 at 04:15:10PM +0000, Emmanuel Dreyfus wrote:
>> On Sun, Apr 21, 2024 at 05:32:48PM +0200, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
>> > I'm seeing this too for the daily anita tests from time to time.
>> > It's hard to reproduce
>>
>> I got it thrice in a row while bulk-building packages.
>
> I get is so often that it is difficult to build big packages, the
> kernel will panic before completion.
>
> Building on Xen/i386 is not possible because of this bug. It is
> not possble to cross-build from Xen/amd64 either because of kern/58158.
> This is a huge regression.

I had the panic happen a couple of times, mostly during a build of
pkgsrc packages and what I thought was a daily cron job (not sure as
much about that one any more), which is why I put in the PR for this
problem.  When the i386 Xen guest is quiet, even with normal cron stuff,
it didn't panic, however... even after many days of running.

To test further, I reran the pkgsrc build and did manage to provoke the
FPU panic.  In DDB nothing really unusual appeared to be going on at the
time, EXCEPT, that the cron job for backups (which around here uses
dump) started, so there would have been excessive disk activity right
before the panic.  The build was working on devel/gmp and chunking along
just fine before the panic, although I am not sure that this panic is
related to any particular package being built.

I don't have a good provoking case for this problem, except to say that
building packages appears to help cause it to happen for me.

I am using pkgsrc from a NFS mounted file system with WRKOBJDIR set in
/etc/mk.conf to a local FFS filesystem.  The artifacts are also local,
with a null mount on /usr/pkgsrc/packages over the NFS filesystem on
/usr/pkgsrc.  I also ran the pkgsrc build from the Xen console (xl
console ...) so there would have been a lot of activity going on there.

My amd64, earmv6hf and earmv7hf builds never had an problems with
panics.

--
Brad Spencer - brad%anduin.eldar.org@localhost - KC8VKS - http://anduin.eldar.org