Port-i386 archive

Re: Memory defined at boot time incorrect

acruhl%gmail.com@localhost (Andy Ruhl) writes:

>At boot time only about 2 gigs of memory is being discovered, even
>though 4 gigs is installed.

The other 2 gigs are probably not accessible from 32bit code. The
GENERIC_PAE kernel might help.

It is also possible that the BIOS/UEFI can map the memory into 32bit space
(below 4GB) so that GENERIC can access it. In that case you will see a
large part of it, but obviously not everything. E.g.:

total memory = 2916 MB
avail memory = 2857 MB

That's reported by a GENERIC kernel, the motherboard has 4GB RAM installed,
but only 3GB are visible in 32bit space.

>I see some options in the kernel config to
>define the memory size but so far I haven't figured out the right
>combination of settings, everything I've tried causes compile errors.

Most such options define how the available memory is used and some changes
also require adaptions of the code. They don't make BIOS/UEFI report
different things or make memory available.

So please check your BIOS/UEFI to see if you can change memory mapping
and try the GENERIC_PAE kernel.

                                Michael van Elst
Internet: mlelstv%serpens.de@localhost