Port-i386 archive

apm(4)?

All,

while pulling a trustworthy Thinkpad 380D from 5.1 to 8beta, I noticed
that apm(4) was gone.

A MONOLITHIC kernel says

NetBSD 8.0_BETA (MONOLITHIC) #0: Sun Nov 12 03:57:43 CET 2017
[...]
mainbus0 (root)
ACPI BIOS Error (bug): A valid RSDP was not found
(20170303/tbxfroot-261)
acpi_probe: failed to initialize tables
ACPI Error: Could not remove SCI handler (20170303/evmisc-312)
cpu0 at mainbus0
cpu0: Intel 586-class, 152MHz, id 0x52c
[...]

and does not attach apm0 to acpi0, as GENERIC promises, probably
because acpi(4) itself did not attach. Looking closer, there is still

#apm0		at mainbus0		# Advanced power management

# Tuning for power management, see apm(4) for more details.
#options 	APM_V10_ONLY		# Use only the APM 1.0 calls
#options 	APM_NO_POWEROFF		# Don't power off on halt(8)
#options 	APM_POWER_PRINT		# Print stats on the console
#options 	APM_DISABLE_INTERRUPTS=0 # Don't disable interrupts

contrary to what the commit log
<http://cvsweb.netbsd.org/bsdweb.cgi/src/sys/arch/i386/i386/mainbus.c?rev=1.95&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup&only_with_tag=MAIN>
says. Unfortunately, enabling it leads to a "apm cannot attach to
mainbus" config(8) error as reported here:

<https://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-misc/2016/05/16/msg000307.html>

Note that according  to a prominent NetBSD documentation page, apm(8)
is very much alive:
<http://www.netbsd.org/docs/power-mgmt/>

So, I've come to the understanding that apm(4) is only available on top
of acpi(4), which does not attach on machines that predate ACPI. Those
machines are then left without power management, or stuck with old
NetBSD releases.

What did I miss?

Cheerio,
hauke