Port-i386 archive

i915drmkms vs serial console--how to have both?

I have machines with i82845 (i386) and 82Q45 (amd64) graphics devices
which engage the i915drmkms driver and intelfb.  On both, if one chooses
to use a serial console (i.e., 'consdev com0' in the bootloader), the
video output is disabled.  One can still log in blind on the wscons
virtual terminals, but this is hardly useful.

How can one have working i915drmkms/intelfb video while using a serial
console?

(IIRC, a machine with E7221 graphics device did not disable the video
if a serial console was used.  I am unable to confirm as that machine
is no longer accessible to me.)