Port-i386 archive

Re: Boot-time question

>> [...] trying to boot NetBSD/i386, machine consistently hard-resets
>> at some point after loading kernel and before kernel prints
>> anything, [...]
> I'm going to see if I can figure out what's with the amd64 claim and
> see if (if I can) replacing it with the i386 one makes any
> difference.

I managed this - turns out this is just a matter of replacing /boot and
redoing installboot (I'm not sure installboot is actually necessary) -
and it seems to be relevant(!!).  I replaced /boot (with the one from
5.2, since that's what was on the machine in question) and
re-installboot-ed and now the kernel actually starts.  I have no idea
why the amd64 /boot works on the DT360 but not the DT366.  (I
think I'm likely using the 5.2 bootxx_ffsv1 as well at the moment.)

Now, the kernel can't find / because it's on USB disk and it isn't
finding USB-attached devices before trying to mount /.  I'm going to
see if using the 4.0.1 i386 /boot helps - I have that, of course; it's
just not on the most convenient machine for replacing stuff on.

But now I seem to be past the difficult-to-debug part, at least.

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign