Port-i386 archive

Re: Intel device issues...

On Monday 04 April 2016 12:30:00 Brian Buhrow wrote:
>  I wonder if it's a USB bridge with an ethernet behind it.  Can
> you post the dmesg  for the install media?  Perhaps that will make things
> clearer?

What I posted was essentially the dmesg.   I'll add a couple of lines
around it:

ishsmb0 at pci0 dev 31 function4: vendor 8086 product a123 (rev. 0x31)
ishsmb0: interrupting at ioapci0 pin 16
iic0 at ichsmb0: I2C bus
vendor 8086 product 15b7 (ethernet network, revision 0x31) at pci0 dev 31 function 6 not configured
isa0 at pcib0

I've been told that the following has information on the chipset used on
the motherboard.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/chipsets/100-series-chipset-datasheet-vol-1.html

On page 29 of the document it has Table 4-1:  PCI Devices and Functions and under that it
lists:

    Bus0: Device 31: Function 6   |    GbE Controller

Later in the document (Section 20) it has the following overview:

The Gigabit Ethernet controller(D31:F6) in conjunction with the Intel®  Ethernet
Connection I219 provides a complete LAN solution. This chapter describes the behavior
of the Gigabit Ethernet Controller. For details on the Intel®  Ethernet Connection I219,
refer to document (TBD). The Gigabit Ethernet Controller can operate at multiple
speeds (10/100/1000 Mbps) and in either full duplex or half duplex mode.

In a later section it says:

The PCH integrates a Gigabit Ethernet (GbE) controller. The integrated GbE controller is
compatible with the Intel® Ethernet Connection I219.

I've found a "em" driver provided by Intel for FreeBSD.
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/17509/Network-Adapter-Gigabit-Base-Driver-for-FreeBSD-

The sources have the following define in e1000_hw.h:

#define E1000_DEV_ID_PCH_SPT_I219_LM2                0x15B7 /* Sunrise Point-H PCH */

So, the job is now to get this driver working on NetBSD!

--Phil