Port-i386 archive

Re: Illegal instruction trap in libgcc_s.so

"William D. Jones" <thor0505%comcast.net@localhost> writes:
[ ... ]
> So even if that libgcc has code that unconditionally calls
> CPUID, that particular code path never executes on my 486
> machine (and I know it will panic because back in January, I
> decided to upgrade and to my chagrin someone forgot to put a
> 486 guard for CPUID in the kernel :P). Perhaps it's (supposed
> to be) dead code based on 486 guards elsewhere in libgcc, that
> either are not firing during runtime or while libgcc was
> compiled?
Note: The problem I experienced does not involve a kernel panic.
I think the problem is isolated to user land.  And only the
dynamically linked programs, that use libgcc_s.so during
initialization, abort with an 'illegal instruction' trap.  So we
might be talking about two separate problems.

					-jarle