Port-i386 archive

Re: Patch for boot loader: "menu" command

On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 01:09:27AM +0200, Havard Eidnes wrote:
> > On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 02:24:29PM +0200, Havard Eidnes wrote:
> >> Now, there are probably several ways to go around mending this.
> >> Some of them are:
> >>
> >> 1) provide a way to display the contents of boot.cfg (but need to
> >>    prevent showing the "contents of /netbsd"...)
> >> 2) provide a way to recall and edit one of the boot commands from
> >>    boot.cfg (sounds complicated, and more than I intended to chew
> >>    off in this round)
> >> 3) provide a way to re-enter the boot menu you dropped from in
> >>    the first step in the procedure above, and then allow to
> >>    select one of the boot methods already specified in boot.cfg
> >
> > How about change "boot" to use whatever boot.cfg says is the default
> > boot option, and "boot ...anything..." to be the override-the-menu
> > command?
>
> How does the attached look?  It should implement the suggested idea.

The changes you propose sound like a good idea, however, I'm not sure
I completely understand how the bootloader is changing.  Do you mind
"prototyping" the interaction in an email?  I.e., simulate a typescript
of someone operating bootloader with the changes in place?  [It may be
less trouble to create an actual typescript. :-)]

Dave

--
David Young
dyoung%pobox.com@localhost    Urbana, IL    (217) 721-9981