Port-i386 archive

Re: Broken 6.0.1 RAIDframe

On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 06:44:24PM +1000, Ray Phillips wrote:
> I've set up a NetBSD/i386 6.0.1 system with its root partition on a
> RAID-1 RAIDframe volume and somehow managed to get it into a broken
> state.  This is only a test system containing no important data, so
> it doesn't matter if it can't be fixed, but I'd be interested to
> know if it can be for reference, please.
>
> The RAID-1 array is composed of wd0a and wd1a.
>
> # uname -mrs
> NetBSD 6.0.1 i386
> #
> # raidctl -s raid0
> Components:
>            /dev/wd0a: optimal
>           component1: failed
> [...]
>
> Is it possible to remove wd1 from the array somehow, add it as a hot
> spare, then use -F to reconstruct onto it?

wd1 is already removed from the array, otherwise raidctl would print
wd1 instead of component1. So you can already add it as a hot spare
and reconstruct.

> After failing to improve the situation, I tried starting the machine
> with just wd0 attached and then with just wd1 attached.  Does that
> leave the RAID array in an inconsistent state when both disks are
> connected again?  Is there a record kept of which disk was used most
> recently so its contents can be considered to be correct and will
> overwrite its partner's when a reconstruction occurs?

Yes, I believe it does. This may be why it consider wd1 as not being
part of the raid now.

> a 2048-sector offset instead of the 63 sectors I'm used to.
>
> [...]
> I guess that's to accomodate more information, but what's an example of that?

It's to accomodate modern disks which have 4k physical sectors.