Port-i386 archive

Re: Mounting a dump file

On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 10:44:21AM -0400, Mouse wrote:
|One is to get help from the kernel. Either use a different filesystem,
|one which has support for such things in it, or use something like
|filesystem snapshots to get a consistent view of the filesystem.

Note that you can get dump to create filesystem snapshots for you and
perform a backup through those - you will need a recent-ish release, and
be aware that snapshots may cause panics on the release version of 6.0
amd64

I typically use the following for my dumps:

  dump -Xh0 -u${level}f - ${rdev} | gpg -qer 70B68926

This tells dump to take snapshots (-X), honour the nodump flag for level
0 dumps and lower (-h 0), update /etc/dumpdates (-u) and output to
stdout (-f -). $level and $rdev are replaced with the backup level and
fs raw device name respectively - I then pipe the result through gpg for
transfer elsewhere.

You can use chflags to add the nodump flag to directories that you don't
want to be backed up - I generally do this for my backup spool areas at
the least, if there is data that I do want also present on that fs.

Also, when restoring multiple level dumps to a filesystem, make sure to
use the -r option which will tell restore to create a restoresymtables
file that allows successive invocations of restore to compare notes on
what has already been restored. Otherwise restore can complain of files
being already present and get generally cranky.

Regards,
Malcolm

--
Malcolm Herbert