Port-i386 archive

Re: boot selector and extended partitions

On Wednesday 01 February 2012 22:27:31 Alan Barrett wrote:
> I think that mbr_bootsel does not allow booting from extended
> partisions, but mbr_ext does.  (See mbr(8).)  In order to make
> space for the extra code needed for scanning extended partitions,
> mbr_ext sacrifices the ability to use CHS disk addressing (as
> opposed to LBA disk addressing).

So the issue then was the combination of using an extended partition and
it being more than 8 Gig in.

I solved my problem by sacrificing the "Dell PowerEdge Server utilities"
partition (don't really know why it was there) and using that partition
slot for the NetBSD chunk of the disk.

cheers
mark