Port-i386 archive

Re: interrupts on APs

On Sun, Dec 04, 2011 at 01:25:25PM +0100, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> > what kind of the strange problems?
> >
> > i haven't noticed any problems on my system running this reverted.
>
> Did anyone looks at what linux is doing in this area ? they have
> cpu/chipset/motherboard blaklists for a lot of things ...

Yes, I have invested a lot of time to rewrite x86 interrupt routing (or more
specifically, the ACPI/MPBIOS -based parsing of it). But alas, this work was
interrupted by lack of time. However, I hope to return to it.

As has been said numerous times, there are so many issues with the current
code (cf. "mpacpi.c") that I wouldn't personally recommend to enable the
interrupt routing to APs in the APIC. It is amazing that the code works at
all. (That said, no offence to the original authors; it must have been
hellish to write that in the early 2000s.)

- Jukka.