Port-i386 archive

Re: Looking for suggestions for small, low power machine

On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 12:35:08PM +0300, Jukka Marin wrote:

> I got a 5501 box now - with zero documentation.  How do I make it boot from
> a CF card?  I installed NetBSD 5.1 on a CF, and did installboot but 5501 does
> not boot from the card ("No Boot device available, enter monitor.").

How far does the boot get ?

If it doesn't find the bootxx code, then maybe you have a disk geometry issue.
Although the mbr/pbr code should only be trying to read sector 0 and
sector 63 - both of which probably don't depend on the reported geometry.
Using 'mbr_lba' might help.

You'll need to ensure that you've requested a serial console, probably
using the bios-set baud rate.
That can be fixed using installboot to edit the boot options held in the pbr.

        David

--
David Laight: david%l8s.co.uk@localhost