Port-i386 archive

Re: Looking for suggestions for small, low power machine

On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 5:42 AM, Jean-Yves Moulin <jym%eileo.net@localhost>
wrote:
> If changing to NetBSD/ebvarm is not a problem, you can try seagate dockstar
> (it's a sheevaplug) :-)

Some more info:

Based on this post from Jean-Yves and some private emails that he was
kind to answer, I bought a Seagate Dockstar. It should be delivered in
the next few days. It was less than US $65 including shipping. I am
hoping it will do most of what I want it to do, but I will still be
looking for an i386 or amd64 based machine from my original post.
Buying consumer grade stuff (the Dockstar) to run NetBSD on appeals to
my idea that stuff shouldn't be wasted. I'll be posting my results on
the port-arm list once I start trying to use it.

I have a few machines which are doing stuff that I hope to combine
into a single machine, here are some stats:

Cobalt Qube2 running netbsd-5 from a fairly recent snapshot on nyftp.netbsd.org:

About 12 watts at idle, about 17 watts when building something from pkgsrc.

Oh, it has a USB card plugged into the PCI slot. It's served me well
but I think the hardware is getting shaky.

eMac 1.25 GHz running OSX 10.5.8 (32 bit powerpc):

about 103 watts at idle when the CRT monitor powers itself off. About
115 to 120 watts when I'm doing something with it.

I'm going to measure my NetBSD/i386 machine at some point as well.
This is another one I'm hoping to combine into a new machine.

Andy