Port-i386 archive

Re: netboot install of current

On Thu, 28 Apr 2011 13:25:38 +0200, Manuel Bouyer <bouyer%antioche.eu.org@localhost> wrote:
Hello,
so, how is one supposed to do a netboot install of NetBSD current these
days ? I'm doing:
load tftp:miniroot.kmod
boot tftp:netbsd

with i386 GENERIC, the kernel can't exec init because it doesn't have
EXEC_ELF32 included. With MONOLITHIC, the kernel doesn't mount the
ramdisk because modules are not enabled ...

You are not alone. I have not found a solution to this, except by building a custom kernel with the ramdisk embedded for i386.

It's one of the reason why I asked for the GENERIC/MONOLITHIC modular stuff settlement some time ago (for i386 and amd64), but never received the ultimate decision of core@ on this (and as such: never brought GENERIC i386 up to it and "retire" MONOLITHIC).

IMHO, this should really get fixed before branching -6.

--
Jean-Yves Migeon
jeanyves.migeon%free.fr@localhost