Port-i386 archive

Re: GENERIC and INSTALL kernels (was: Re: CVS commit: src/sys/arch/i386/conf)

On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 11:49:55AM +0900, Izumi Tsutsui wrote:

> (2) Definition of "GENERIC"
>
> If you think GENERIC should also be applicable to RAMDISK based
> INSTALL kernel, it should be MONOLITHIC.

But it doens't need to be.  That's what I was trying to say before.
Given any "carrier" filesystem that can hold the GENERIC kernel and
a ramdisk in a module, the GENERIC kernel can be modular and it
all works fine.  I use FAT16 for this, since our FAT16 bootblocks
work quite nicely.

Thor