Port-i386 archive

Re: using GPT support in BIOS boot

On 1/5/11 8:27 PM, Jonathan A. Kollasch wrote:
Hi,

Just a quick summary of how to use the new GPT support in the x86
boot stack.  (sysinst doesn't understand this yet.)

# gpt create wd1
# gpt add -b 64 -s 2097152 wd1
# dkctl wd1 addwedge wd1_1 64 2097152 ffs
# newfs -O2 dk0
# installboot /dev/rdk0 /usr/mdec/bootxx_ffsv2
# gpt biosboot dk0
# mount /dev/dk0 /mnt
# cp -p /usr/mdec/boot /mnt/

That's the basics, you'll want a kernel and root file system
on dk0 too to completely test this out.

Features:
- You can boot from a root partition at or above 2TiB if your BIOS
   properly supports block addresses above the 32-bit barrier.

Limitations:
- The GPT MBR only supports 128 partitions (the default and minimum).
- "/boot" only understands the first 26 partition entries (hdX[a-z]).

Thanks to Mike M. Volokhov for his work during GSoC 2009 that
made this possible.

        Jonathan Kollasch

First off, thanks a ton for getting this done. I just tried it, and it works great.

One thing that I was curious about: whether it's important to start the partition at 64 like you did. The answer: apparently not. I just let gpt add do its default thing, and it started at 34 and worked fine.

This is really, really good stuff.

+j