Port-i386 archive

Re: 64-bit?

port-amd64 should handle this CPU just fine.

On Tue, 17 Aug 2010, der Mouse wrote:

I have a laptop with

cpu0: "Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     T7100  @ 1.80GHz"
cpu1: "Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     T7100  @ 1.80GHz"

According to everything I've been able find, this CPU is 64-bit-capable
(eg, http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=29759 says "Instruction Set
64-bit" and "Intel® 64 Yes".

Is NetBSD capable of running 64-bit on this hardware?  Looking at the
ports list, I see alpha, amd64, ia64, sparc64, and xen specifically
called out as 64-bit.  Of these, I know alpha and sparc64 well enough
to know there's no point thinking about them here.  And, in this case,
I am not interested in xen.

This leaves amd64 and ia64.  Based on a little poking around, I think
ia64 will not work but amd64 will.  But before I start haring off on
wild-goose chases (to mix metaphors), I thought I'd sanity-check my
understanding with some people who are likely to know. :)

Comments?  Am I off base, or not?

\ / Ribbon Campaign
X  Against HTML         mouse%rodents-montreal.org@localhost

| Customer Service | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 | paul at whooppee.com    |