Port-i386 archive

Re: [PAE support] patch review

On Sat, 17 Jul 2010, Jean-Yves Migeon wrote:

- introduce i386_cpu_switch_pmap(), used to switch pmap for the curcpu.
Due to the different handling of pmap mappings with PAE vs !PAE, Xen vs
native, I hid the details within this function. This helps calling it
from assembly, as some features, like BIOS calls, switch to pmap_kernel
before mapping trampoline code in low memory.

WARNING: this function currently *breaks* the amd64 build (obviously,
there is no i386_cpu_switch_pmap() for amd64).

==> this part will be re-written with a cleaner abstraction, in sync
with rmind and his uvmplock branch. But I would like you to review the
rest of the patch.

You will fix the breakage before committing, right?

With this impact, should this discussion also include the port-amd64 list?

Two questions:
- is it ok for everyone to add PAE to ALL kernel? This can raise paddr_t
issues within drivers, as well as some format string errors.

I think you should add it - better to find the issues now, and get them resolved, rather than finding them later.

- should I add a "#options PAE" within GENERIC config file, or provide
additional GENERIC_PAE/MONOLITHIC_PAE files?

I would prefer not to create more config files.  A

        #options PAE

should be fine.

| Customer Service | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 | paul at whooppee.com    |