Port-i386 archive

Re: soekris net5501 boot problem

Replying to message <26B20AF4-8C92-43F9-9272-9283901A8D67%baaz.fr@localhost>

Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 12:39:08 +0200
From: Jean-Yves Moulin <jym%baaz.fr@localhost>
To: port-i386%netbsd.org@localhost
Newsgroups: gmane.os.netbsd.ports.i386
Subject: soekris net5501 boot problem

Hello,

I have a soekris net5501. This is a board with serial console only (setup at
9600 8N1).

The board can boot perfectly with pxeboot_ia32. I'm connected to serial port.
I can load an install kernel with nfs, and then perform all install task.
Everything is OK: all devices recognized, disk is OK, network is OK, dmesg show:

com0 at isa0 port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4: ns16550a, working fifo
com0: console

and disk:
wd0(viaide0:0:0): using PIO mode 4, Ultra-DMA mode 5 (Ultra/100) (using DMA)

But when booting from hardisk, I'm unable to load kernel. The boot seems to
block after mbr boot. I can already boot with pxe and install kernel. Then
mount all partitions through utility shell. So, I've tried everything:

Are you sure that it doesn't boot? I have witnessed a 120-second delay between the MBR boot and kernel boot. If you wait around, it may get to boot your kernel after all.

If that's your case, then the situation is documented in PR #39726.

http://www.netbsd.org/cgi-bin/query-pr-single.pl?number=39726

And if you apply the patch documented here...

http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-users/2008/10/11/msg002179.html

then the problem can go away.

Good luck...

--