Port-i386 archive

Re: cpuctl: Intel Core i5 540M misidentification

Pouya D. Tafti wrote:
> On a recent laptop with an Intel Core i5 540M processor, I observe the
> following:
>
> laptop# cpuctl identify 0
> cpu0: Intel Mobile Pentium II (Dixon) (686-class), 2527.28 MHz, id 0x20652
> Is it possible to make cpuctl identify this cpu correctly?

To my knowledge, cpuctl only uses the family and model number as
returned by cpuid to come up with a CPU name. Intel pretty much
abandoned that a long time ago, opting instead for strings, such as the
one you see further down in the cpuctl identify output. Extended family
and model numbers have been kept up-to-date though afaict, so cputctl
could use those instead.

This 'misidentification' is entirely harmless though.
--
        Thomas E. Spanjaard
        tgen%netphreax.net@localhost