Port-i386 archive

Re: nfs server performance (netbsd-5)

On Wed, Apr 07, 2010 at 10:27:14AM +0000, Andrew Doran wrote:
> > UDP mount and rsize/wsize=32768 is ambitious...
> >
> > You may try to cut this down to 8192 (common) or even 1024 (avoids
> > fragments) or better switch to TCP if your client support this.
>
> In case it's not obvious, TCP is likely to give much better performance
> in some configurations.

I changed the linux client to TCP with 8 kB read/write sizes.  However,
I have been using TCP mounts on my NetBSD clients for ages and I'm still
getting "not responding" messages.  This happens often when building a
source tree located on a remote disk.  It's now so bad that the builds
may fail (writing/closing object files to remote disk fails).

I ran "ping -f -s10000 server" for 10 hours with zero packet loss, so
it seems my network hardware is working.

  -jm